Monday, February 21, 2005

Cherished moments

by Anu Palani
[She is employed with Accenture India, Bangalore]

There is something really magical about college friendships. I wonder how much effort God would have put into creating it.

Yesterday I went to a Railway Reservation Counter to book my tickets. As usual, the counter was jam-packed. I was cursing my luck and all the uncertainties of life when I noticed a girl standing just ahead of me. She was just an ordinary girl. What captured my interest was her smile. She was filling up the Reservation Form wearing a big smile on her face; lost deeply in her own thoughts. There was a sweetness about her which disarmed me instantaneously.

The girl looked around too... and suddenly she called out a name so loudly that almost all (not kidding!) turned around. "Ashok....", "What are you doing here?" Her tone was a mixture of pure happiness and complete disbelief. The guy behind me replied coyly and with an enthusiasm matching hers replied "Came to book the tickets, yaar". Her friend gave her a hi-fi and that set the mood...

There were no formal greetings and wishes exchanged. No "how are you?"s and "how have you been?"s. They started talking from where they would have left... probably years back. Their easy demeanor indicated they were deep college friends, and had chanced upon each other that fateful day. Those two were totally oblivious to the surroundings. They were totally immersed in their conversation; stuff like "what’s she doing", updating "how is he...hey not him", complimenting "your handwriting is still the same...", exploring "hey! what’s this blue lens", and exchanging sweet admonitions like "Grow up yaar..." and "am happy you are the same" kind of talks.

I totally forgot myself.
I found myself involved in their talks. I caught myself laughing out loud on several occasions that it took all my self control to stop and regain my composure! Inductively, I looked back to a time when I myself was in college .The several topics we would harp on ending with the numerous "Lets keep in touch promises". I thought about the fun we had shared all those times and all the people I had cared about then. I thought of the reasons why along life's rough patches my friends got left behind. I thought of the many times I had postponed writing letters to them. I thought why I had missed making calls and returning them; why I had missed Weddings and Birthdays. I thought of the beautiful difference it would have made, had I still been in touch with them. I had always meant to do all of those but before I realized time had just flown by. I was overwhelmed. I looked at the two again. I was in a total daze, infact completely mesmerized.

My turn came, got the tickets and walked out.

The two had left by then. I left home too, feeling light than ever before. I wondered where life will take them...I wondered where life would have taken my college friends...I wondered where life would take me...I found myself whispering a silent prayer...for them...for us.


comments

Jenni Liikanen, student in Keuruu (Finland)
I read your text and I liked it... I´m not sure that I understood everything but I like it... most of the thing that you wrote about is true.

In our high school, we will soon be having "Vanhojen Tanssit", a traditional event that means 17-18 years old boys and girls dance together in old dance styles. If we want participate in the event we have to dance with somebody! Girls with boys and boys with girls of course!!
I can´t wait mine!

Another one is "Abit" where students whose high school is almost over dress in funny costumes and do everything silly!


3 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://zqkdnxrk.com/ljzy/isln.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://dnqgdviq.com/jvax/qywo.html]Cool site[/url]

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://zqkdnxrk.com/ljzy/isln.html | http://tjtssnsc.com/wpyl/sgut.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home